Three Things Thursday!
(Took this image above last Saturday from my time with Jasmine.)
I’m down to my last week of school next week! Can’t believe this school year has come and gone, but I am very much looking forward to summer. I’m in need of some time to create what I want to create and wake up slow and make homemade iced coffee and go for evening walks in town.
Three things I am thankful for….
1. picking up the camera again. For the last few years I have struggled with the balance between commissioned photo work and taking photos as a hobby. I love to photograph people in both of those cases, so it can get tricky sometimes. Lately it has been such a thrill and a joy to capture people close to me in photographs and meet some new people along the way. These last two weeks I’ve realized that I need to find a balance in doing both commissioned work and restful, hobby work. Sometimes I forget that God has granted me this gift in His design of me. I’m just thankful that He has blessed me in this way in order for me to be a blessing to others. I’m looking forward to a great summer of photographs and getting some ideas out of my head and into reality.
2. the reality of being an image bearer. I’m currently reading Disciple by Bill Clem and a devotional by Frances J Roberts called Come Away Beloved. Both have been so good to me! Disciple has been one of those books that is a great surprise. It’s very foundational and addresses how God pursues people and how we pursue Him and how He uses us to pursue others. A lot of it deals with getting our identity from Jesus. There are so many simple truths have been made fresh to me from this book. It’s written so beautifully and has put to words many things that I think in my head, but never had a precise explanation for. I love this book so much that I’d want to read through it with my bible study next year. The last chapter I read talked about how we are privileged with being made in the likeness of God and bearing His image in our lives. I’m just left in awestruck wonder about the gift that is and how I’ve been designed that way. It helps me see myself and others differently. There is so much more I could say, but instead I encourage you to read it for yourself :)
3. this quote.
“If you want to know where your heart is, look to where your mind goes when it wanders.”
So yeah, this quote can be taken in a really cheesy way, but if you try to notice where your mind wanders, I think you’ll find some real truth to it.
welcome month of May!
(a belated) Three Things Thursday
(illustration above by amy martin)
Wow, there has been so much I have been thankful for this week! It’s always great to pause and reflect….humbling too. There are so many gifts God has given me lately that three things is just a very very very small glimpse to what He has given me (including the gift of Himself, His character, His truth, His love…so good!)
three things I am thankful for…
1. Seeing the book of Isaiah as a book and not just a passage
The book of Isaiah is my favorite old testament book in the bible. I love it because God’s voice is in there throughout and there are so many promises in there. These promises have never and will never fail. Ever. It’s crazytown when I get to thinking about it. I usually just pick a chapter and read it and find the verses that I love and study the chapter but this time God allowed me to see the book in it’s bigger picture context. Israel is so stubborn….SO stubborn. (And we are Israel ha!) But time and time again God is faithful to remind Israel of the truth and bring them into to truth of who He is. I just have seen the patience of God from this book as a whole and it is reminding me that He does the same with me and He has been doing the same for thousands of year….beyond my comprehension.
2. Rahab Ministries
A great opportunity has opened up for me to volunteer two days a week this summer with Rahab! I’ll be working with women recovering from drug addiction and life on the streets. I’ve already had the privilege of meeting some wonderful souls. Excited to learn how to love more deeply and to be stretched and brought out of my comfort zone.
3. Time with awesome women.
I got to go on a walk across town and spend quantity and quality time with my dear friend Kendra this week. I got to be overwhelmed by the goodness of my great Father with my friend Tiffany this week. I got to laugh and talk with Leah this week and I made a new friend name Gaby this week. I got the chance to listen to the hear of Michelle Whitacre (and what a lovely lady she is!) Continually blessed with tremendously beautiful and talented friends in my life.
Three Things Thursday!
three things I am thankful for…
1. spring break. Last week was a time to rest and reflect and pray. I journaled probably about 30 pages! So good to dream and set goals and wake up slow and make an omelet for breakfast! I also got to catch up with friends and realize how I need to incorporate more time into my social life a little more. Spring break gave me time to get some great perspective!
2. my birthday. wow! I like being 22! I like the way it sounds. My family came on easter to spend the day with me and take me out to brunch (my favorite meal of the day!) And on monday, my friends spent time with me throughout the day and at night I had an intimate surprise party and received so much thoughtfulness from everyone who came (showing thoughtfulness is my receiving love language by the way). Getting gifts is a tangible reminder to me that I am seen, known, heard and understood by people close to me, but how much more by my great Father! It was also great to reflect back on this last year. 21 was an awkward and hard age, but there were also some great blessings and opportunities to apply what I’ve learned along the way. I’m really looking forward to being 22 though. I recently found out that I will graduate in December and this has gotten me very excited to dream about life after graduation. 22 years young….here’s to another year of full living and loving and growing!
3. this article encouraging and insightful for any girl single or dating!
Three Things Thursday!
Three things I am thankful for this week…
1. this article. I felt like God was bringing me the right perspective through it this week. Love being taught by my Father in heaven!
2. God’s redemption. Recently, by God’s grace, I have been reminded of the great work that He can do, is doing and will continually do for eternity. I read a friend’s blog and was left teary eyed and humbled by the faithfulness of God in that person’s character. It was one of those moments in my life that was a wake up call for me in my own perspective of redemption. My friend Kendra also told me this week though that we have to remember these times where we see God’s bigger picture of redemption. We need tangible reminders of this because how easily do we forget! (And how easily do I forget!) Not sure what my tangible will be, but I’m making one to remember this time. There is a change in me that is blooming up with the spring. I don’t even know what that entirely means right now, but it’s real and it’s here. I can’t deny it.
3. Spring break ahead. I can’t wait! I’m looking forward to living slower and going on a few small adventures with myself.I’m looking forward to time to do “restful work” and catching up with some friends. Want to know what I mean when I say restful work? Read this article here.
if you realize how much you love doing a hobby read this article! It got a lot of thoughts going in my head….