my top 10 photos of 2012
Each photo that I chose has a different meaning for me and not all of these photos were chosen because they “look good.” Each photo that I chose brings me back to the season that I captured it in this past year; looking at these photos remind me of the things that were inspiring me at the time and what I was learning in those seasons. Photos are so special because they grow in value over time. I think that’s one of my favorite things about what I do as a photographer: I give people gifts that only grow in value over time.
When I really think about it, this top 10 list doesn’t do my 2012 year as a photographer justice. I have been crazy blessed this past year with my gift/job. I’ve gotten to meet some lovely people and work with some of the kindest couples who love my work. The people that I’ve met this year have been such a pleasure to work with. I’ve made some new friends along the way and I’ve learned more about myself as a person, photographer and designer.
As I look ahead at the glimpses of what I see in 2013, I can’t help but get excited! I have some great weddings booked already for 2013 and I’m looking forward to whatever else comes my way. Giving thanks for the unknown blessings ahead.
1. favorite photo composition in 2012 I had the pleasure of working with Ivan & Cassie this summer for their engagement session. I love their love and had so much going working with them. I love the simplicity of this photo and the use of “white space” in this composition.
2. favorite person I got to photograph and welcome into 2012 this is a photo of my friend Tiffany’s little girl, Phoebe! She was born in April and it has been so cool to see her grow up before my eyes. I’m so glad she is in the world and I can’t wait to see her bloom more and time goes on.
3. favorite wedding that I got to witness and not photograph in 2012 In 2012 I got to attend one wedding as a guest! One wedding! It was SO refreshing for me to take it all in and experience a wedding. My friends Chelsea and Aidan had a beautiful wedding day; I’m truly encouraged by the love they have for one another.
4. favorite “real” wedding detail moment of 2012 This is a list from my July bride, Ellen this summer! I love that it’s a small detail but says so much about the bride and her wedding day. Truth is beautiful and I’ve come to appreciate small, “real” moments like this more and more as a photographer.
5. favorite engagement session couple of 2012 This is Jacklyn and Eric! They are the sweetest clients to have! They brought me coffee during their engagement session this Fall. They are joyful and fun and they’re such a pleasure to photograph. Completely blessed by these two and can’t wait to work with them in 2013 for their wedding! woo!
6. favorite “instagram” moment of 2012 I found this water bottle cap on my way to starbucks one morning in November. John 4:10 says, Jesus answered her, ‘If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.’ (John 4:10 NIV) I love finding things like this! It’s like fortune cookies but better!
7. favorite bride detail moment of 2012 These shoes belong to the lovely Emily Schmader. She’s a blogger and also a budding photographer and I loved the look and feel of her wedding. Very simple and romantic. Beautiful!
8. favorite “pause” on a wedding day moment in 2012 Back in September, my bride and groom Melissa & Andy took their wedding party to Sweetie Fry in Coventry and they got me some ice cream too! Had SO much fun with their bridal party…never laughed so much on a wedding day! This photo almost was labeled the “is this for real?” caption below.
9. favorite self-portrait of 2012 This is he most recent photo of me taken in December. I think it sums up my personality and love of dreaming. It’s titled “kindle my heart” and the actual photo was taken by my dear, dear friend Kendra!
10. favorite “is this for real?” moment of 2012 This photo was taken on my trip to Amsterdam in March! The people pictured are my teammates from the trip. The first night we were in Amsterdam we had to made dinner for a church of about 50 people! We had jet lag and the power ended up going out and we had to wash dishes by hand with cold water, but it was a night I will never forget and I loved how I got to know these people from that week!
This is a photo of me taken by Kendra. (I edited it) I think it sums me up pretty well. December 2012. titled: “kindle my heart”
The other day I was driving home and the sun was right about to be my favorite time of light and turn everything golden. Catching golden evenings is rare treat in Ohio in December. I decided to call up my dear friend Kendra and we took some pictures in the golden hour…it was one of those good pauses to a busy day. I love having time over this winter break to do small projects and listen to Over the Rhine and drink hot chocolate and watch movies every evening with my housemates. Much needed quantity and quality time.